Parahyangan Catholic University was officially established on 17 January 1955, with only one faculty, the Faculty of Economics. In 1958 it established the Faculty of Law and then added the Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences in 1960 and 1961, respectively. In 1979 the Faculty of Philosophy joined Unpar at Jl. Nias 2, Bandung and finally in 1992 it established two new faculties, the Faculty of Mathematics and Faculty of Industrial Engineering.
Since the establishment of Universitas Katolik Parahyangan in 1957, a modest library was also established in Gedung Panti Budaya to compliement the lectures that were also being held in the building at that time.
In 1961, the lectures and the library were moved to the building at Jl. Merdeka No. 32. In this building, all four faculties conducted their lectures. A four-storey building which only occupies a land area of 3,000 m2 is of course not able to accommodate all the activities of the four faculties.
In the year 1964 the Faculty of Engineering was being lent a location in a biscuit factory at Jl. Jendral Sudirman Bandung, and all of the engineering books were moved to that location.
Lectures of the Faculty of Engineering in Olimpia’s biscuit factory were given until 1974, and with the new building was completed, they move to the building at Jl. Ciumbuleuit 94 simultaneously with its library.
The Faculty of Economics library was moved to the building at Jl. Aceh from the Merdeka building in 1968, where all the books from Social and Political Sciences are also gathered.
In 1981, the building for the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences was completed and the library unit managed to acquire a floor, therefore the books for the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences were transferred from the Aceh Campus to building No.3 on the Ciumbuleuit Campus, while the Economic books remain in the Aceh building until today.
A new building was established on 1996 called of building No.8, dedicated to the Faculty of Mathematics and the Faculty of Industrial Engineering. A space is also granted for the library unit inside the building to store the collection of both faculties and the Faculty of Technology and Information.
Meanwhile, since the Faculty of Law moved into the new building, some of the lecturers still pioneered the establishment of the Faculty of Law Library that is fully managed by the Faculty of Law, which later for this and other purposes established the Center for Legal Studies, an Institute which has overseen the Faculty of Law Library since 1983. In 1998, the Center for Legal Studies was disbanded, making the Law Library management transfer back to the original Library Unit. At Present it is located building No.2.
In 1979 the Faculty of Philosophy at Jl. Nias Bandung (which used to belong to the Bandung Diocese) joined Parahyangan Catholic University, and the library was incorporated into the management of the UNPAR Library Unit.
Until 1999 Unpar’s Library unit was located in five different places on three locations, Jl. Aceh, Jl. Nias,and Jl. Ciumbuleuit 94 . Starting in January 2000, with the completion of building No. 9’s construction on the Ciumbuleuit Campus, the Library Unit occupies the 2nd and 3rd floor of the building in a1,700 square-meter area. The entire procurement, circulation and processing operations performed at the Ciumbuleuit Library, except for the circulation of the Faculty of Philosophy library is still being finalised on Jl. Nias 2 Bandung.
Since September 2005, the Library Unit changed its name to UNPAR Documentation Center of Scientific Information (Pusat Dokumentasi Informasi Ilmiah), better known as PDII.
With the enactment of the new Organizational and Governance Structure, as of 17 May 2013 the Documentation Centre of Scientific Information was again renamed as Library in accordance with the rules contained in Act 43 of National Law 2007 concerning Libraries.